Thursday 15 August 2013

Delightful Dunning Again!

I was very lucky to be able to go on another 3 week dig through the university to Dunning. Like last year (for an account of that see my old blog, posts in August & September: http://mairiglasgow.blogspot.co.uk/) there were three digs going on in the area: a prehistoric dig in the fields of Leadketty Farm, A hill fort (Kay Craig, opposite last years Castle Craig), and just outside the churchyard of Dunning itself. Again, like last year, I was able to work in Dunning. It was wonderful to be in a familiar spot. If anything, this dig was even more delightful than last years, possibly due to the fact that I wasn't worried about getting things done for my portfolio. As I dedicated at least five posts to my field school experience last year, many of the pictures I took this year will be repeats. Also, due to the fact that I am still behind on this blog, I want to TRY to keep it all in one post. It looks like it'll spill into two, but I'll try to stop at that!

The finds processing takes place in an old girl's school. In rather Jane Eyre-ish style, a boys school was built first, and this one next to it in the 1840s. Someone put this sign up on a cupboard. 

Some of the Victorian rubbish we dug through in Dunning.

The tower of St Serf's church.





A memorial tree. I don't know if this is the original, or if others have been planted in its place over the years. See the picture below.


One thing that WAS different this year is that Ewan Campbell (one of the professors) dug a tiny trench right up against the tower wall, to see it it had been built before the church, or at the same time. 





A standing stone in a strawberry farm.

Something else different this year: I helped out with the "Wee Big Dig" where we dug in the schoolyard, and got primary school children to help us. 

One of our 1m x 1m squares.

This tiny stone leaning against the gravestone is a fragment of a Pictish carved stone. It is VERY worn. This wasn't discovered till recently (in St Serf's churchyard).

My hands getting a little bit grubby. 


2 comments:

  1. Fabulous! I miss your blog posts, Mairi!! That wee Pictish stone is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your B&W photos! I love how involved the school children can be in the digs. What a way to get your hands dirty in your national heritage! :-)

    ReplyDelete