Wednesday 12 June 2013

Pollock House & The Burrell Collection

A few weeks back Rachel & I met up with our friend Nothando to go visit Pollock House & the Burrell Collection, which are right outside Glasgow. I've heard about these places (and indeed, have seen the outside of Pollock House with my archaeology group several months back), but haven't ever visited them. They were magnificent!

The gardens around the house.


Lions on guard.

Standing before the grand house. 

Doesn't it look like something from "Pride & Prejudice"?

Detail, below the front steps.

In the beautiful grounds.

Walking towards the Burrell Collection.

They had excellent examples of embroidery. Here is a lovely 16th century blackwork cap.



Rachel & Nothando admiring the embroidery.

Gloves!

Look at the detail!


Wee carved ivory pictures are very nice too.

I have a reproduction (done in wax) that is very similar to this.


More embroidery!




Can you see the figures in the middle? Interesting stuff!


Guess what this is? A Wassailing bowl!!!

And another one!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love that house! It's symmetry is irresistible. I love symmetry! :-) It definitely looks like something out of Pride & Prejudice. I can just imagine myself in costume taking some air on the paths with the delightful crunch of gravel at my feet!

    ReplyDelete